Saturday, March 30, 2019

She was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.

William (my 4-year-old son) and I frequently visit an assisted living home to see a good friend. 


On Valentines Day he and I brought large hearts cut out of construction paper and gave them to all the residents in my friend's medical ward.


This was the first time we met Sister Valentine's Day, whose name I sadly cannot remember.


She had skeletal problems which had bent her body severely, making it difficult to wear clothing or to move at all, even in a power wheelchair. She wore a loose hospital gown. I suspect that between issues of modesty and mobility she never left her room - I had never seen her in the dining room with all the other residents, many of whom William and I have come to know by name.


Her room was beautifully decorated for Valentine's day - there were hearts and lace and pink and red everywhere. One of the walls in the room was actually painted pink which I suspect is her favorite color.


We gave her one of the hearts. She was so cheerful, so appreciative. We promised to say hi to her when we next visited. She brightened my day.


In late February I had a strong impression to visit my friend during an extremely busy afternoon. I kept putting it off while I took care of other things, and it eventually just stopped.


One Saturday a few weeks later I had the thought "I should visit my friend." This time I obeyed immediately.  When I arrived there was a transport van in front of the facility and my friend was being wheeled to her room by some staff. She was returning after a 2-week stay in the hospital.  She said in amazement "how did you know about this?" I replied, equally amazed, "I didn't!"


 When I went to visit Sister Valentine's day, she was gone.  Her room was bare and empty except for a hospital bed, and her nameplate was gone from the door.  I later found out that she had moved to another state to be closer to family.



I am so amazed at the power of God to care for us through others.


I'm so sad that I didn't act on that prompting weeks ago.


I keep wondering whether God was trying to get me there to know what was happening to my friend so I could visit her in the hospital.


I also wonder if maybe I was supposed to go there to visit Sister Valentine's Day one more time.


Luke 13: 11-13


11 And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.


12 And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity.


13 And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.


My friend seems more bent and bowed together every time I see her. It is difficult for her to lift her head, difficult to eat.


Someday soon Jesus will call her to Him and lay His hands on her and she will be loosed from her infirmity and be made straight.


And she, and I, will glorify God.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written Sarah. At church just now, we heard of the death of a fellow member’s stepdaughter yesterday at the very young age of 24. She’d been hit by a car before Christmas and had been fighting for her life since then. She could “in no wise lift herself up”, either, as this scripture describes, so she was finally released from her suffering. Death, and eventually resurrection, is a blessing for us all.

    ReplyDelete